Monday 17 June 2013

WRAP - Another Key Concept - Self Advocacy

 Self Advocacy played a huge party in my recovery and continues to help me to live well.  I had to figure out what I wanted/needed to help me.  Then I had to tell someone.  Now that sounds pretty simple but when your confidence and self esteem are very low and your anxiety and paranoia are very high - its not so easy let me tell you.  I realised that I had hope that things could get better, so I had to take the personal responsibility to actively ask for what I wanted/needed.  Gillian my co-facilitator has a saying "we don't have glass heads - unless we tell people they have no idea of whats inside it".  Very true and very wise Gillian :) 
At the start I needed alot of support to self advocate - I would take my husband along with me to my appointments, I would write things down (very useful tool if self advocating with medical staff - I still ask for my letters to be included in my files).  Now I have an excellent realtionship with my GP who supports me with making informed choices around medication to help me manage my long term health. Sometimes I think I'm very lucky to have a GP like this - and I am; but when reflecting I realise that the reason we have this open relationship of mutual respect and trust, is because I put a lot of effort into showing that I meant business when it came to my health care needs.  And I'm glad I did as it has paid off.
If you find self advocacy hard - enrol some supporters.  we are very lucky in the UK to have good Independant Advocacy Services.  If you feel you need support to have your voice heard find out about Advocacy services in your area. 

No comments:

Post a Comment