Wednesday 19 March 2014

How do we measure Hope and Compassion

For the last 6 months I have been working with a fabulous organisation in Cumbernauld called Now You're Talking.  I have been working with them to deliver 4 x 2 day WRAP workshops over a 12 month period for their members, funded by Alliance Scotland 
I came across NYT by chance way back in late 2012 and I liked the sound of what they were doing.  So I popped over to see the project for myself one day and from the minute I went through the doors I felt welcome.  On Tuesday the 18th March I joined NYT in celebrating their 5th birthday party, and also officially opening their community café - Happy Talk Café. 
Over 100 people attended, a fantastic and well deserved turnout.   In the crowd were staff from Department of Work and Pensions as NYT were receiving an award for being a Disability Friendly Employer.  There was also a really good turnout from other local voluntary sector groups including Voluntary Action North Lanarkshire who have supported NYT since day 1.  They presented NYT with a Volunteer Friendly Award in recognition of the fantastic volunteer opportunities they provide.
There was a noticeable lack of representation from the local health board and also the local social work department.  It is no secret that organisations that are peer led often are misunderstood and don't receive the support they deserve.  Maybe its because their achievements can't easily be measured in figures, spreadsheets and statistics. 
How do you measure the hope that someone gets from being involved with a project like NYT?  How do you accurately portray the levels of compassion found in organisations like these across Scotland?   The only way that you can do it is to walk through the doors and see and feel for yourself the difference that these projects are making in peoples lives.  Speak to people - listen to their stories and then decide if these projects are worthwhile.  I am so glad that I walked through the doors back in 2012.
As I venture into this world of social enterprises and peer led projects with my new project The Hope Cafe Lanarkshire, I am extremely fortunate that so far we have received excellent support and encouragement from our local authority and health board - and I hope that this continues. 
For organisations like Now You're Talking - my message is  simple - don't change what you're doing, because what your doing works and is making a difference to many many lives.  Keep your head held high and be proud of what you have achieved.  Don't let anyone dull your sparkle :)

And to anyone who doubts the value of a peer led project - take yourself through the doors.  Spare an hour to speak to people and listen to their stories - then make your judgements.

No comments:

Post a Comment