Wednesday 30 October 2013

#Winewednesday - Depression & Personal Responsibility

Today is 'wine Wednesday'.  This is the one 'school night' that I allow myself to sit down, relax and have a glass or two of wine.  When I completed my first ever WRAP I had wine right up there in my wellness toolbox - I enjoy it and it makes me feel good.  However - as I started to learn more about myself through living WRAP it became very obvious very quickly that wine wasn't always a wellness tool.  Infact  - more often than not it was an early warning sign - and could even be a trigger.
For example - how many of us have come in from a crap day at work and thought - I'll have a wee drink to relax??  Lots of us. Then before you know it you are having a 'wee drink' almost every night to 'relax'.  So - I now recognise that if I am feeling that I NEED to have a drink to relax - then its not a wellness tool - its an early warning sign that I need to be dealing with whatever is causing me to feel low, anxious or worried. 
It can also in itself be a trigger - especially in my experience if I am already feeling low.  Feeling the way I have been  lately - it is very tempting to reach for a glass - as it gives me that lovely cosy glow where the world doesn't seem to grey....................for about half an hour.  So my way of taking personal responsibility has been to create 'wine Wednesday' - the day where I allow wine to act as a wellness tool - and I do not allow myself to do any work of any sort past 7.30pm. 
I am glad to say that I feel as if things are on the up.  I'm still not 100%  - but i'm 73% which is better than 70 % for the last few weeks.
Onwards and upwards thanks to my pal WRAP :)

No comments:

Post a Comment